Thursday, December 15, 2011

Movies I Didn’t Know Were Based on Books

Big budget book adaptations like the Harry Potter and Twilight movies have been dominating the box-office this year and Martin Scorsese’s 3D adventure “Hugo” (based on Brian Selznick's novel “The Invention of Hugo Cabret”) has just hit theaters.

I’ve enjoyed seeing many great books translated to film (and I’ve been disappointed just as often), and I like to think of myself as pretty well-read, but it turns out there are a lot of movies out there that I had no idea were based on books.

Here are some examples of ones that really surprised me. See if you are better versed in literary cinema than I was…

Meet the Robinsons
Movie produced by Disney (2007), based on the book “A Day with Wilbur Robinson” by William Joyce
I haven’t seen this one, is it cute? It looks cute. The book is adorable.

Howl’s Moving Castle
Movie directed by Hayao Miyazaki (2006), based on the book by Diana Wynne Jones
I’m a Miyazaki fan so of course I liked the movie, but the book is now one of my all time favorites (Yes, I read teen books. No, I’m not a teen anymore).

L.A. Confidential
Movie starring Russell Crowe (1997), based on the book by James Ellroy
I really should have guessed this, right? Well, it’s going on my to-read list.

Fletch
Movie starring Chevy Chase (1985), based on the book by Gregory McDonald
Actually there is a whole series of books. The question is can you read the books now without hearing Chevy Chase’s voice in your head?

First Blood
Movie starring Sylvester Stallone (1982), based on the book by David Morrell
Seriously? Seriously!

Are there movies that have surprised you when you found out they came from a book? Are there book to movie adaptations that you love or hate?

More…

Cinema & Literature blog

Word and Film

Based on the Book

Books that are Upcoming Movies in 2012


No comments: